Why I Homeschool

Why on Wednesdays

My new Weekly Series

As we begin a new year I thought I’d share a bit of why I do what I do.  This week let’s talk about homeschooling.

People homeschool for a variety of reasons and many of those reasons play a part in why my husband and I decided to homeschool.  But my number one reason is not about my kids education per say.  Shocked? Now what if I told you my number one reason is purely selfish?  Yeap it is!

The number one reason I homeschool is because I can’t imagine being away from my children for that long five days a week, every week.  Yes I know they’d get breaks and summer off, but that’s not the same.  Where we live the schoolbus goes by at 7am and doesn’t come back past until a bit after 4pm.  So that is 9 hours that my children would be away from home.  So say they’d get up at their normal 6 am and get ready for school in a rush so they could get on the bus, and our bedtime was still at 8pm that would only leave a total of 5 hours that they would be awake and I’d be able to interact with them, but you’d have to add doing homework and chores in there too.  How would I spend time with each of my kiddos?  As soon as they started school the only time you could spend more than a few minutes at a time would be on the weekends.  They would still have their homework on weekends too.  Oh and that’s not counting any extra after school stuff either.

I’m selfish.  I want to be the one seeing that look of understanding come across my kids face when they get that new math concept or sound out their first really big word correctly.  I want to be the one they read their first book to.  See I told you I was selfish.

Another reason is that I want my kids to know what they’re learning.  I want to make sure that they’re not learning something I don’t approve of.  And I’m not just talking about what the teachers are teaching them.  I’m talking about what the kids are saying too.  Let’s face it, kids teach kids more than teachers teach kids.  Now that being said, my kids do still play with other kids.  They’re not hermits!  In fact as my daughter now is making out a list of invitations for her birthday party I’m wishing we were hermits!  Wow, that’s a long list.  They have homeschool friends, they have church friends, they have more cousins than I can count, they have neighbors, and the list goes on.

I love homeschooling my kids.  I love getting to spend time with them every day.  I love the questions.  I love the learning.  I love my learning with them.  I learn patience.  I learn how to connect with them on their level again.  I love that I can teach them life skills as I’m teaching them school.  We get to count helping mommy cook as school.  We get to count grocery shopping as school too if they help make the list, calculate cost per pound, etc.  We get to do field trips anytime we want!  I mean really?

Homeschooling is not easy though.  You have to be dedicated.  You have to be able to keep yourself on a schedule as well as your kids.  But that’s a whole different post to come at another time.

Now before I end this post I do want to also mention that some of my best friends send their kids to public school.  Their children are fine.  They have great relationships with them.  I am not saying that everyone has to homeschool or that homeschooling is the only way to go or saying you’re a horrid parent for not homeschooling.  Homeschooling is not for everyone.  Not everyone can do it and not everyone should do it.  It is a decision only you or you and your spouse can make.

If you have any homeschooling questions please feel free to ask them.  But please keep it nice guys.  This is not meant to point fingers or poke fun or start a war of who is a better parent.  This post is simply meant to share my thoughts and why I do what I do.  We’re all different.

1. Lori Walker says:

Thank you. Thank you for not quoting all those glamorous reasons people say they homeschool, but hitting me right where I am at. I want to spend that time with my daughter, who will ge starting kindergarten ne/t year and we want to homeschool, because we want to raise our daughter beyojd the first five years of her life. Other considerations as well, but that is what it boils down to.

2. Char W says:

I really enjoyed reading this blog post. I think us mothers share the same thoughts about homeschooling. I did once with my girls who are now older. We are considering it for our younger children once they reach the high school age. Good luck to you.

3. Kandi says:

Thank you for pointing out that parents who do not home school are not bad parents. All to often I get told how much I am “missing out on” or attacked like I am a horrible mother who will never have a relationship with my kids. But I do believe homeschooling is not for everyone. And since I work at my kid’s school I do not miss out on much. It is a blessing that I got that job. I get to spend each recess with them and I believe that teaching goes beyond the school. Parents need to be involved as well.

4. Liberty Boblett says:

I homeschool my two children as well. My son went to public school until a couple of months into 2nd grade. We decided it was best to homeschool, and haven’t looked back. We are very active w/our local library, Boy Scouts, church, and homeschool group. We have Coop classes for 8 weeks, twice a year. My kids love it, I get stressed but who doesn’t! LOL

5. Beth says:

I love learning along with my kids too. I’m sure it’s material that I learned when I was in school but it didn’t seem as interesting back then.

6. Tess says:

We started investigating home education when we realized how much time our oldest would have to spend on the bus as a K’er. I do say that my number one reason to home school is education but it grew out of a selfish desire to spend as much time with my kids as possible.

7. Amberm says:

I do not homeschool my kids but I have seriously thought about it. My biggest reason I would ever start homeschooling is one because I do not like my kids learn at school from other kids and two because with all the school shootings and stuff it actually scares me to send them to school!

8. Rebecca Ray says:

I loved your list of reasons you homeschool. Sometimes when people ask me why I homeschool my four, I tell them that I’m not ready to give up spending my days with them yet. After all, they’re really cool people.

9. Tonya Bangart says:

My son is not yet of school age and I am still debating the pros and cons of homeschooling him.

I was homeschooled. My parents made the decision to teach my sister at home when she was coming home crying every night… but never explained why. This happened through several school changes. My parents did what they thought was best to protect their daughter.

When I heard of their decision, I asked if I could be taught at home as well. In the school I attended at the time, I felt as though I was constantly being held back waiting for the others in class to catch up. The school didn’t allow for taking advanced college courses at that time.

I thrived in a homeschool environment. My sister did not. I think that is why I struggle with the choice for my son. I enjoy having him home with me… most the time lol… but I worry that he will be that child that does better in a group setting.

10. Steven says:

I’m going to have to share this on Facebook with some friends of mine. I’ve actually seen them talking about considering homeschooling their child lately.

11. Rachel says:

I was homeschooled K-12 so I’m always curious to see why different people chose to homeschool. I love that your number one reason is because you’re selfish! (That’s a bit silly sounding, isn’t it?) But I completely understand what you mean! There’s a high possibility that I will homeschool my kids, but as my daughter is three and my son is due in March I still have time to decide.

12. Trish says:

We started homeschooling for the same reason 17 years ago and I would choose it all again for the same reason! I love my kids and I love spending time with them! (most hours of the day, lol!)

Cavemom’s Cooking by Anne Hoelz Cookbook Review

Cookbook, Paleo - Cavemoms Cooking, simple paleo meals, Print Version

Sometimes we say we still live in the “Stone Age” but really we’re just joking, or are we?  Did they know something we don’t?

This Cavemom’s Cooking cookbook not only shows and shares some great and healthy recipes, but it also shares about Anne and her son.  Her journey began with her son being born and his health problems.  I have not had to deal with a child having seizures or the extremes that she has, but I have had to deal with kids having some of the other issues.  We have food allergies in our house which I’m sure you’re aware of if you follow this blog.

While we are not Paleo, we do have a gluten free and dairy free lifestyle.  I have experimented with Paleo recipes before and have found some that I love.  I also love some GAPS recipes and of course gluten free recipes.  Her recipes are ones that we can easily cook and enjoy.  They are simple, they are delicious, and they are good for you!  I really like the simple part.  As a homeschooling mom, simple is good.  I know not all of you homeschool, but you probably say as a _____________ mom simple is good.  So whether you’re just a busy mom, a mom of many, a working mom, or not even a mom, sometimes you just want a simple good meal to feed your family or even just yourself.

The print version of this cookbook(what I received) can be purchased at Greenchild Creations Etsy shop.  The shop also sells cloth diapers and soaps as well as other things that would make great gifts!  The print version of the cookbook can be purchased for $22.95 and is 125 pages long.  It has some great photographs in it of the recipes she has fixed.  I made several of these but my pictures don’t even compare!

You can also purchase a digital cookbook of the Cavemom’s Cooking if that is how your prefer your cookbooks.  I love mine in print so that I can mark them up and dog ear them and feel the papers.  I’m a bit old fashioned, but it is just the way I am.  I love the smell of paper and ink.  Books are special to me.

I’m afraid we didn’t try out the recipes with brussel sprouts. . . . . long story but it involved my husband looking at the cookbook and saying if I fixed brussel sprouts he might hire an attorney. Guess he doesn’t like them!  I personally have never had brussel sprouts so guess that is something I will need to try in the future along with turnips.  Yes I was deprived as a child.

Oh yum!  See doesn’t that look wonderful!  Who ever would have thought you didn’t have to eat potatoes to have “mashed potatoes”?  Oh yum yum yum!  And did you know you can add lots of yummy things into these potatoes without them tasting off and the kids will love them!?  Oh yes it’s great!

The cookbook isn’t so much a cookbook but a story.  A story that keeps going.  A story that will continue in a second volume if the rumors are true.  This is more than just about eating good foods and keeping our kids healthy.  This is about how to heal our bodies by what we put in them instead of just covering up the symptoms with medications.  I’m of the lets not use medicine unless necessary viewpoint.  We don’t use a lot of medicine here.  I have a little girl who can’t even have tylenol because it gives her hives. . . . why would that happen you ask?  Because of the red dye they put in the tylenol.  So instead of making her better, it makes her worse.

I hope you like what I’m sharing about Anne Hoelz’s cookbook.  Please take a moment to go visit and check it out yourself.  I think you’ll find that you need a copy too.

Why I Blog

Why on Wednesdays

My new Weekly Series

To kick off my blog series titled Why on Wednesdays I wanted to start by sharing why I blog.  I started my blog back in January of 2012 on free blogger.  The change to wordpress was a recent one.  Anyway that’s not about why I started blogging.

I am a stay at home mommy to 9 children and the only other “grown up” I see on a daily basis is my husband.  I wanted to be able to interact with other adults somehow and what a better way than to share my thoughts and opinions on my own little corner of the internet.  It was one of those things where I’d seen so many people making blogs and then abandoning them and I wanted to make sure I was going to want to continue with mine.  There have been times that I had to take a small break or needed to step back for a bit, but all in all I have felt that this was still something I should be doing.

I love having this little outlet into a world where I can talk to someone in Australia or Germany as easily as I can someone next door.  This is wonderful!

I have continued to blog for the outlet it gives me and also for some of the wonderful opportunities it has given me.  I have been blessed to become a part of the TOS Review Crew that gives us access to homeschool curriculum that we would otherwise never be able to afford and try out.  This is a true blessing for myself and my children as they get to try things and hopefully find what works best with their learning style.

In addition to homeschool reviews occasionally you will get to see other product reviews and even sometimes giveaways that I get to share with you because I blog.

One of my favorite things is to share recipes.  I love to cook, though I have less time to do it these days that I used to.  When I cook I like to post my recipes on here so that you have access to them.  They are going to be gluten free and sometimes dairy free as well.  Always they will have options or suggestions to make them allergy friendly.  I know how frustrating it can be at times to cook meals that fit into an allergy lifestyle.  In our house we are allergic to gluten, milk, and soy so those are things we avoid.  I also do some experimenting with egg free as we have friends who have to cook that way.

I hope you’ve enjoyed this little bit of getting to know me and are looking forward to next weeks installment.  Please feel free to comment and let me know what you want to see more of here on this blog!  I love getting comments!

1. Kandi says:

I love reading your home school reviews! They really have some amazing products out there and I love seeing what is out there to help my kids learn! While I don’t home school I am a firm believer that it is up to the parents to assist in their children’s education outside of school!

• Erin S. says:

I already have a fun new one in the works! This one is for piano lessons online. The kids are so excited to start it next week and I love that my tone deaf self is not having to teach them.

2. Char W says:

I was considering homeschooling my oldest at some point. I’d love to get some additional advice from you.

3. Emilee says:

What a great idea for a series! I’m looking forward to learning more about you! The Crew has been a blessing to our family as well! I’ll be checking out the gluten-free recipes because that is a change we hope to make this year!

4. DaLynn McCoy says:

I love this post as your introduction to a weekly series; it really helps me get to know you and I can’t wait to see what you share with us this year!

I agree that so much of blogging, and internet activity in general, is largely to help me with my social circle needs that I can’t really get much of locally. We’re birds of a feather, I think. :)

I’ll enjoy reading and keeping up with you this year! Thanks for linking up with my 52 Weeks series. Be blessed!