Crockpot Orange Chicken

I made this dish on Monday.  I had it cooking in the crockpot and it smelled so good, I couldn’t wait to try it.  And then, I didn’t get to try it until tonight because we had to rush our son to the emergency room with an inguinal hernia.  He’s doing great now and I have to say that this recipe is even wonderful warmed up for leftovers!

I found the recipe over at Real Food Allergy Free.  and knew I had to try it!  I’m so glad to have found it.  Sorry that I don’t have a picture, but I’ll have add that next time we make it.  I did change a few things and will note those.

Crockpot Orange Chicken
          This is the recipe for a single batch.  I used 2 pounds of chicken and doubled the whole recipe.
1-2 pounds chicken(recipe said bite sized pieces, but I did mine in strips)
1/2 cup biscuit or pancake mix(I used brown rice flour with some garlic and herb seasonings)
palm shortening(I used olive oil)
6 oz frozen orange juice concentrate, pulp free thawed(I was out of orange so I used pineapple)
                          because I didn’t use orange concentrate I added about 4 Tb of orange juice
4 Tb sucanat or brown sugar(I used demerara and only 4 Tb for the entire double batch)
3 Tb ketchup(I used about 1/2 cup ketchup for my double batch)
1 tsp balsamic vinegar(I used apple cider vinegar)
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ginger(I used 1 tsp fresh minced ginger)

Place flour in gallon ziploc and shake chicken until coated.  Bring oil or shortening to good heat in skillet and lightly brown both sides of the coated chicken(do not fully cook).  Place chicken in the bottom of the crockpot.

Combine the remaining ingredients well in a bowl. You may taste and add more sugar as needed(I added more ketchup not sugar).  Pour sauce over the chicken.

Cook on low for 6 hours or 3-4 hours on high.  Serve over rice(I used brown rice).

1. meg says:

I was looking down your list of recipes and saw this one for the Crockpot Orange Chicken and went BAM!!!! This recipe is a total score and my husbands favorite meal so I’m very excited about this Crockpot version :)

2. Christy Maurer says:

That sounds so good and so easy! I bet you could throw some broccoli in with it for the last couple hrs too. You may have to use more liquids though. Gonna have to try this out!

3. Karen Hand says:

Oh, this sounds delicious. I can’t wait to give it a try as we simply love Orange Chicken. Thanks for the tip.

4. ann says:

Sound delicious. I’m always looking for new recipes to make for the family especially using chicken as we eat alot of it made different way. Sometime they get tired of the same old recipes. This would be so good over rice to. Cant wait to make some. Thanks for the recipe

5. Jan Lee says:

I love Orange Chicken, who woulda thought? lol I like that you told what you substituted too, as I would probably use the same things you used, except for the pineapple juice. Thanks for sharing! :)

6. Sunnymay says:

I printed off this easy crockpot recipe and have the ingredients already. I like the orange juice concentrate part and thinks it will make a tasty meal.

7. Sylvia Zajis says:

This sounds yummy. I’m always looking for new slowcooker recipes. It’s nice to have a hot dinner waiting after a long day of running errands. Thanks again.

8. Krista B says:

WOW! I definitely need to get on top of trying this one out! I LOVE orange chicken and I love my crockpot – never thought to try making it in there!