Red Velvet Cupcakes(gluten free and dairy free)

Ok so I am just now getting this recipe up.  I apologize.  I made these for Valentines’ Day but have been so busy that they took a backseat.  I found this recipe at Gluten Free on a Shoestring but as is normal for me I did a few modifications.  I left the sugar out completely and made it dairy free.

Red Velvet Cupcakes
1-3/4 cup gluten free flour blend
1 tsp xanthan gum or guar gum
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
2 Tb unsweetened dark chocolate cocoa powder
6 Tb coconut oil
2 large eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cider vinegar
scant 1 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup beets for the food coloring

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Line cupcake pan with 12 liners.
In a large bowl whisk all the dry ingredients together.
In separate bowl combine the wet ingredients, except for the milk.
Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well.  Batter will be lumpy.
Add the milk and mix well.
Divide the batter into the muffin tins(this made around 18 cupcakes for me).  Once you put the mix into the tins smack the tins around a bit to level out the dough.

Bake for 25 minutes.  Let cool in pan for a few minutes before removing to cooling rack.

Let cool completely before decorating.

Shared on Whole Food Wednesdays. and Kitchen Fun with my 3 Sons, Try a New Recipe Tuesdays, Domestically Divine Tuesdays, Teach me Tuesdays, Menu Monday, Titus 2sdays, Wellness Wednesday, Wise Woman Linkup, Wednesday Linkup, Allergy Free Wednesdays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Homemaking Linkup, Clever Chicks Blog Hop, Real Food Wednesdays, Wisdom Wednesdays, Gluten Free Fridays, Proverbs 31 Thursdays Linkup, Thrifty Thursdays, Friday Food Frenzy, Weighing In

1. Laura says:

Red Velvet Cupcakes…oh my and gluten free! These look delicious.
    Thank you so much for sharing your great recipe on Allergy-Free Wednesdays! Be sure to check back next week for recipe highlights (including the top 3 reader choice submissions and hostess favorites).

Be Well!

2. Erica Barnes says:

These sound really good, and I like how beets are used instead of red food coloring since I am allergic to artificial food dyes.

3. jennifer speed says:

omg…I love anything red velvet…I will definitely have to try this recipe sounds delicious.

4. Eva M says:

Red Velvet – cakes/cupcakes are a hit in this family. My son Evan turns 9 on Dec 20th – think I will have to make this to commemorate the occasion and let him share them with his classmates.

• Erin Slocum says:

I left out the sugar totally on accident really, lol. I think the combination of the coconut milk and oil with the dark chocolate gave it the sweetness we needed. You could add a tsp of pure stevia and that would sufficiently sweeten them I would think.

5. Trisha says:

I need to try this for my kids. I’m always looking for “treats” for them so they don’t feel left out and deprived. What did you frost these with?

6. Cindy Gordon says:

Those are some pretty inviting cupcakes! YUM
    Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

Thanks for linking back to the Gluten Free Fridays post!

We had a ton of great looking entries for our Namaste sponsored party last week! Stop by this week to check out the winner that was randomly selected!

Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com